Every lot is tried & tested in a relevant biological assay.
Protect from light.
- Alomone Labs A23187 induces apoptosis in Jurkat cells.2 µM A23187 (#A-600) or vehicle was added to the confluent cell culture for 6 hours. Apoptosis was probed by the detection of cleaved Caspase 3 using Caspase 3 specific antibodies in western blot analysis of cell lysates.
- Berridge, M.J. (1993) Nature 361, 315.
- Scharff, O. et al. (1993) Physiol. Rev. 73, 547.
- Orrenius, S. et al. (2003) Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 4, 552.
- Hajnoczky, G. et al. (2003) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 304, 445.
- Caron-Leslie, L.A. et al. (1991) Mol. Endocrinol. 5, 1169.
- Caron-Leslie, L.A. et al. (1994) FASEB J. 8, 639.
- Rzigalinski, B.A. et al. (1994) Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1223, 219.
- Vrana, J.A. et al. (1998) Int. J. Oncol. 12, 927.
- Petersen, A. et al. (2000) Brain Res. 857, 20.
- Cheng, C.H. et al. (2002) FEBS Lett. 516, 191.
- Jansen, S. et al. (2003) Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 96, 133.
A23187 is a mobile-carrier Ca2+ ionophore (allows Ca2+ ions to cross cell membranes) originally isolated as an antibiotic from Streptomyces chartreusensis. It is used to increase intracellular Ca2+ levels and for in vitro studies related to intracellular Ca2+-mediated events. A23187 can cause cell activation, differentiation, or proliferation and thus mimics cellular processes observed in response to cytokines and growth factors.1,2
Furthermore, A23187 induces, in a concentration- and time-dependent manner, Ca2+-triggered cell apoptosis.3,4 This property was exploited to clarify apoptotic events in different cell lines such as mouse lymphoma cell line (S49),5,6 histiocytic lymphoma U937,7 human myeloid leukemia cells (HL-60),8 cultured striatal neurons,9 renal tubular cells,10 and C6 glioma cells.11
A23187 (#A-600) is a highly pure, natural, and biologically active compound.