- Peptide (C)EKTLDLASVDLRK, corresponding to amino acid residues 129-141 of human CDNF (Accession Q49AH0). Mature CDNF protein.
- Western blot analysis of 100 ng human recombinant CDNF (lanes 1 and 3) and 100 ng human recombinant MANF (lanes 2 and 4):1,2. Anti-CDNF Antibody (#ANT-027) (1:500).
3,4. Anti-CDNF Antibody, preincubated with CDNF Blocking Peptide (#BLP-NT027).
Note that the antibody recognizes CDNF but fails to recognize closely related MANF.
- Western blot analysis of mouse brain lysate:1. Anti-CDNF Antibody (#ANT-027), (1:200).
2. Anti-CDNF Antibody, preincubated with CDNF Blocking Peptide (#BLP-NT027).
- Expression of CDNF in mouse brainImmunohistochemical staining of immersion-fixed, free floating mouse brain frozen sections using rabbit Anti-CDNF Antibody (#ANT-027), (1:300). A. CDNF staining (green) is detected in several cells in the vicinity of the substantia nigra pars compacta. B. Tyrosine hydroxylase staining (red) appears in the substantia nigra. C. Merge of the two images demonstrates dopaminergic (TH-positive) neurons also expressing CDNF (arrows). Cell nuclei are stained with DAPI (blue).
- Lindholm, P. and Saarma, M. (2010) Develop. Neurobiol. 70, 360.
Neurotropic factors (NTFs) comprise an important group of secreted proteins regulating the life cycle of neurons during development. NTFs prevent apoptosis and control the number of neurons innervating a target tissue. NTFs also regulate migration, differentiation and maturation of postmitotic neuronal precursors and promote the regeneration of neurons after injury.
Cerebral dopamine neurotrophic factor (CDNF) is a member of a sub-family of NTF proteins. The premature form of the protein consists of 187 amino acids while the mature form contains 161 residues. CDNF has a saposin-like N-terminal domain and an unstructured carboxy C-terminal domain with an intradomain cysteine bridge in a CXXC motif. Notably, saposin-like proteins interact with lipids, suggesting that CDNF’s N-terminal may also interact with lipids. The saposin-like domain of CDNF crystalizes as a dimer at pH 4.6. It is presumed that CDNF functions upon synthesis and secretion since it does not contain prosequences for enzymatic activation.
When CDNF is injected into the striatum of rats after the injection of 6-OHDA (6-OHDA leads to protracted retrograde degeneration of the nigrostriatal pathway) it significantly reduces amphetamine-induced rotational behavior and protects tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) positive dopaminergic cell bodies in the SN and TH-positive fibers in the striatum. In addition, CDNF had showed neurorestorative effects in the same animal model.
Currently it is still unknown if CDNF also affects other types of neurons in the CNS or whether it has any effect on the PNS. It is also not clear to which target molecule CDNF binds and what signaling pathways it activates. CDNF might serve as a therapeutic agent for neurodegenerative diseases1.
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of human CDNF. Anti-CDNF Antibody (#ANT-027) can be used in western blot and immunohistochemistry applications. It has been designed to recognize CDNF from mouse and human samples. The antibody will not recognize CDNF from rat samples.