- Peptide QLEDEGNFYSENVSRILDN(C), corresponding to amino acid residues 20-37 of rat GABRA6 (Accession P30191). Extracellullar, N-terminus.
- Western blot analysis of rat brain membranes:1. Anti-GABA(A) α6 Receptor (extracellular) Antibody, (1:200).
2. Anti-GABA(A) α6 Receptor (extracellular) Antibody, preincubated with GABA(A) α6 Receptor (extracellular) Blocking Peptide (#BLP-GA004).
- Expression of GABRA6 in mouse cerebellumImmunohistochemical staining of mouse cerebellum using Anti-GABA(A) α6 Receptor (extracellular) Antibody (#AGA-004). A. GABRA6 (red) appears in the granule layer (asterisk). B. Parvalbumin (green) appears in Purkinje cells and in the molecular layer. C. Merge of GABRA6 and parvalbumin indicates that GABRA6 is restricted to granule cells. DAPI is used as the counterstain (blue).
- Expression of GABRA6 in rat PC12 cellsCell surface detection of GABRA6 in intact living rat pheochromocytoma (PC12) cells. A. Extracellular staining of cells using Anti-GABA(A) α6 Receptor (extracellular) Antibody (#AGA-004), (1:100), (red). B. Merge of A with the live view of the cell.
GABA (γ-aminobutyric acid) is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. Its production, release, reuptake and metabolism occur in the nervous system.1
The GABA(A) R, is a heteropentamer, with all of its five subunits contributing to the pore formation.
To date, eight subunit isoforms were cloned: α, β, γ, δ, ε, π, θ, and ρ.1 Six α subunit isoforms were described to exist in mammals (α1-α6). The native GABA(A) receptor, in most cases, consists of 2α, 2β and 1γ subunit. The α subunit is the most common subunit and is expressed ubiquitously. It determines the affinities for allosteric ligands shown by GABA(A)R.
A possible role for the GABA(A) receptors in alcohol action has been derived from animal studies, in vitro cell models and human research which suggested an important role for GABA(A) α6 along with β2, α1 and γ2, in alcohol related phenotypes.3
In Canavan disease (inherited leukodystrophy), low level of expression of GABA(A) α6 was reported.4
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an extracellular epitope of the rat GABA(A) α6 receptor. Anti-GABA(A) α6 Receptor (extracellular) Antibody (#AGA-004) can be used in western blot, immunohistochemical and live cell imaging applications. It has been designed to recognize GABRA6 from rat, mouse and human samples.