This product is freeze dried. All water molecules have been removed.
This antibody is shipped with its antigen FREE of charge!
- Peptide (C)KEIPDPSSINAKTLE, corresponding to amino acid residues 522-536 of rat PMCA2 (Accession P11506). 2nd intracellular loop.
- Western blot analysis of rat (lanes 1 and 3) and mouse (lanes 2 and 4) brain membranes:1,2. Anti-PMCA2 Antibody (#ACP-002), (1:400).
3,4. Anti-PMCA2 Antibody, preincubated with the negative control antigen.
- 1. Jensen, T.P. et al. (2004) Brain Res. Dev. Brain Res. 152, 129.
- 2. Strehler, E.E. and Zacharias, D.A. (2001) Physiol. Rev. 81, 21.
- 3. Talarico, E.F. et al. (2005) Mol. Vis. 11, 169.
- 4. Jensen, T.P. et al. (2007) J. Physiol. 579, 85.
- 5. Burette, A. and Weinberg, R.J. (2007) J. Comp. Neurol. 500, 1127.
The plasma membrane calcium ATPase (PMCA) is a transport protein in the plasma membrane of cells responsible for removing calcium (Ca2+) from the cell. This pump is vital for regulating the amount of Ca2+ within cells1.
The PMCA and the sodium/calcium exchanger (NCX) are together the main regulators of intracellular Ca2+ concentrations2.
Since it transports Ca2+ into the extracellular space, the PMCA is also an important regulator of the Ca2+ concentration in the extracellular space3.
The PMCA belongs to a family of P-type primary ion transport ATPases, and is expressed in a variety of tissues, including the brain4.
The pump is powered by the hydrolysis of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), with a stoichiometry of one Ca2+ ion removed for each molecule of ATP hydrolyzed. It binds to Ca2+ ions with a high affinity (a Km of 100 to 200 nM) but does not remove Ca2+ at a very fast rate. This is in contrast to the NCX, which has a low affinity and a high capacity. Thus, the PMCA is effective at binding Ca2+ even when its concentration within the cell is very low, and so is suited to maintaining Ca2+ at its normally very low levels. The NCX is better suited to removing large amounts of Ca2+ quickly, as it is needed in neurons after an action potential. Thus the activities of the two types of pump complement each other5.
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of rat PMCA2. Anti-PMCA2 Antibody (#ACP-002) can be used in western blot analysis and has been designed to recognize PMCA2 from mouse, rat and human samples.