- Peptide (C)GGRKQNLDPRYILTK, corresponding to amino acid residues 544 - 558 of human SMCT1 (Accession Q8N695). Intracellular, C-terminus.
- Western blot analysis of mouse brain lysate (lanes 1 and 4), rat kidney membranes (lanes 2 and 5) and mouse colon membranes (3 and 6):1-3. Anti-SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Antibody (#AGT-036), (1:200). 4-6. Anti-SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Antibody, preincubated with SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Blocking Peptide (BLP-GT036).
- Western blot analysis of human LoVo colorectal adenocarcinoma cell line lysate (lanes 1 and 3) and human ARPE-19 retinal pigmented epithelium cell line lysate (2 and 4):1-2. Anti-SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Antibody (#AGT-036), (1:200). 3-4. Anti-SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Antibody, preincubated with SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Blocking Peptide (BLP-GT036).
- Expression of SMCT1 in rat supraoptic nucleus.Immunohistochemical staining of perfusion-fixed frozen rat brain sections with Anti-SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Antibody (#AGT-036), (1:300), followed by goat anti-rabbit-AlexaFluor-488. A. SMCT1 immunoreactivity (green) was detected in neuronal profiles (arrows). B. Pre-incubation of the antibody with SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Blocking Peptide (BLP-GT036), suppressed staining. Cell nuclei are stained with DAPI (blue).
- Ganapathy et al (2005), Biochem Soc Trans, 33, 237.
- Gupta et al (2006), Life Sciences, 21, 2419.
- Vergara-Jaque et al (2017), J Chem Inf Model., 57, 3043.
Sodium-coupled monocarboxylate transporter 1, SLC5A8, is an electrogenic sodium (Na+) and chloride (Cl-)-dependent sodium-coupled solute transporter that belongs to the Na+/glucose co-transporter gene family (SLC5) 1.
It is expressed in the colon, ileum, kidney and thyroid gland and it is involved in the transport of a variety of monocarboxylates (short-chain fatty acids including L-lactate, D-lactate, pyruvate, acetate, propionate, valerate and butyrate), lactate, mocarboxylate drugs (nicotinate, benzoate, salicylate and 5-aminosalicylate) and ketone bodies (beta-D-hydroxybutyrate, acetoacetate and alpha-ketoisocaproate) 1.
SLC5A8 was found to be silenced in colon cancer, gastric cancer and possibly other cancer types and hence it is a candidate tumor suppressor gene. This is probably mediated through its role in transforming butyrate, a metabolite that is related to these types of cancer 2.
The structure of SLC5A8 was predicted based on its homology to sodium-iodide symporter (NIS) and on the fact that it is a part of the Solut Sodium Symporter (SSS) protein family. The structure contains 13 α-helical TM segments, with the N-terminus facing the extracellular medium and the C-terminus facing the cytoplasm, and a conserved sodium binding site 3.
Species reactivity key:
Widget not in any sidebars
Anti-SMCT1 (SLC5A8) Antibody (#AGT-036) is a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the human SLC5A8. The antibody can be used in western blot and immunohistochemistry applications. It has been designed to recognize SLC5A8 from mouse, rat and human samples.