This product is freeze dried. All water molecules have been removed.
Every lot is tried & tested in a relevant biological assay.
0.1 EU per 1 µg of the protein by the LAL method & lyophilized from a 0.2 µm filtered solution.
Centrifuge all product preparations before use (10000 x g 5 min). Repeated freezing/thawing might result in loss of activity.
- Alomone Labs Recombinant human GDNF protein induces PKB (Akt) and ERK1/2 MAPK activation in SH-SY5Y cells.Cells were serum starved for 2 h and then stimulated with various concentrations of Recombinant human GDNF protein (#G-240) for 10 min. Cell proteins were resolved by SDS-PAGE and probed with anti-phospho(Ser473)-Akt (upper panel) and anti-phospho-ERK1/2 (lower panel).
- 1. Airaksinen, M.S. Saarma, M. (2002) Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 3, 383.
- 2. Henderson, C.E. et al. (1994) Science 266, 1062.
- 3. Houenou, L.J. et al. (1996) Cell. Tissue Res. 286, 219.
- 4. Kobayashi, M. and Matsuoka, I. (2000) Neuroreport 11, 2541.
- 5. Tomac, A. et al. (1995) Nature 373, 335.
- 6. Zhou, F.Q. et al. (2003) Cell 113, 814.
- 7. Lin, L.F. et al. (1993) Science 260, 1130.
- 8. Matheson, C.R. et al. (1997) Neuroreport 8, 1739.
- 9. Brundin, P. (2002) Brain 125, 2149.
- 10. Grondin, R. and Gash, D.M. (1998) J. Neurol. 245, P35.
Glial-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a member of the TGF-β superfamily. GDNF signals through a multi-component receptor system, composed of a RET proto-oncogene and one of the four α1-α4 receptors.1
GDNF promotes survival of various neuronal cells, including motoneurons,2,3 Purkinje cells and sympathetic neurons.4 In embryonic midbrain cultures, GDNF promotes the survival and morphological differentiation of dopaminergic neurons and increases their high-affinity dopamine uptake.5 Cells that express GDNF include Sertoli cells, type 1 astrocytes, Schwann cells,6 neurons, pinealocytes, and skeletal muscle cells.7
In vivo, following transection of facial motor neuron axons, locally applied GDNF has been shown to rescue virtually all damaged neurons from cell death.8 GDNF may be of clinical relevance in the treatment of Parkinson's disease that is characterized by progressive degeneration of midbrain dopaminergic neurons.9,10
Recombinant human GDNF protein (#G-240) is a highly pure, recombinant, and biologically active protein.
- Blockers/Antagonists: proteins
- Explorer kits