Every lot is tried & tested in a relevant biological assay.
- Alomone Labs Parthenolide inhibits the NF-κB pathway in Jurkat and HeLa cells.Jurkat (A) and HeLa (B) cells were treated with different concentrations of Parthenolide (#P-250) for 1 h. Jurkat cells were then stimulated with 100 nM PMA (#P-800) and 1 µM Ionomycin (#I-700) for 15 min. Hela cells were stimulated with 4000 U/ml TNFα for 10 min. Cell proteins were resolved by SDS-PAGE and probed with anti-phospho-p65 NF-κB.
- Johnson, E.S. et al. (1985) Br. Med. J. 291, 569.
- Biggs, M.J. et al. (1982) Lancet 2, 776.
- Hall, I.H. et al. (1979) J. Pharmacol. Sci. 68, 537.
- Douros, J. and Suffness, M. (1978) Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 1, 91.
- Lee, K.H. et al. (1977) Science 196, 533.
- Bork, P.M. et al. (1997) FEBS Lett. 402, 85.
- Hehner, S.P. et al. (1999) J. Immunol. 163, 5617.
- Patel, N.M. et al. (2000) Oncogene 19, 4159.
- Wang, W. et al. (1999) Clin. Cancer Res. 5, 119.
- Wen, J. et al. (2002) J. Biol. Chem. 277, 38954.
Parthenolide is a sesquiterpene lactone found in Mexican-Indian medicinal plants such as Tanacetum parthenium. It has been widely used in indigenous medical practices for the treatment of migraine, inflammation and tumors.1-4 Parthenolide inhibits IkB kinase (IKK) and IKKβ (the upstream activators of the Nuclear Factor-kB (NF-kB) pathway), thus inhibiting Interleukin 1- and tumor necrosis factor a (TNFα) without affecting the activation of p38 and c-Jun N-terminal kinase.5,6
In breast adenocarcinoma and pancreatic tumor cell lines which constitutively express active NF-κB, parthenolide inhibits NF-κB DNA binding and increases sensitivity to chemotherapeutic agents. The sensitivity of these tumor cells to parthenolide is due to the low expression level of the multifunctional detoxification enzyme glutathione S-transferase p caused by inhibition of NF-κB activity.7,10
Parthenolide (#P-250) is a highly pure, natural, and biologically active compound.