Cat #: P-125
Alternative Name Sernylan, Elysion, PCP hydrochloride, Sernyl hydrochloride
Lyophilized Powder yes
Every lot is tried & tested in a relevant biological assay.
Effective concentration 0.1 µM – 1 µM.
Chemical name 1-(1-Phenylcyclohexyl) piperidine hydrochloride.
Molecular formula C17H26ClN.
CAS No.: 956-90-1
PubChem CID 9795678
Activity Phencyclidine is a non-competitive antagonist of NMDA glutamate receptors (IC50 = 0.821 µM on NR1/2A in oocytes at pH 7.6)1.
- Dravid, S.M. et al. (2007) J. Physiol. 581, 107.
Shipping and storage Shipped at room temperature. Product as supplied can be stored intact at room temperature for several weeks. For longer periods, it should be stored at -20°C.
Solubility 50 mM in H2O. Centrifuge all product preparations before use (10000 x g 5 min).
Storage of solutions Up to four weeks at 4°C or three months at -20°C.
- Alomone Labs Phencyclidine hydrochloride inhibits NMDA receptor channels (NR1+NR2A) expressed in Xenopus oocytes.A. Time course of NMDAR currents, elicited by transient stimulations with 100 µM glutamate and 100 µM glycine every 100s, while membrane potential was held at -80 mV. 0.5 µM Phencyclidine hydrochloride (#P-125), applied for 8 min (bar), significantly inhibited current amplitude. B. Superimposed current traces from the recording shown in A, upon application of control and of 0.5 µM Phencyclidine hydrochloride (as indicated).
References - Scientific background
Scientific background Phencyclidine hydrochloride (PCP) is a synthetic, noncompetitive antagonist of NMDA glutamate receptors. PCP inhibits NMDA1 and NMDA2A receptors in oocytes with an IC50 of 0.821 µM at pH 7.61. PCP intoxication in humans was found to induce schizophrenia like symptoms in healthy subjects and to increase symptoms in patients already suffering from schizophrenia. Repeated PCP treatments in mice and rats induce supersensitivity in hyperlocomotion, rearing and sniffing. These symptoms are blocked by the administration of Haloperidol and other anti-psychotic drugs. PCP has also been found to induce anti-social behavior in mice that could be used as a model for the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Rats undergoing PCP withdrawal exhibit reduced basal and stress-induced dopamine utilization and increased 5-HT utilization in the prefrontal cortex of mice, rats and monkeys which indicates a disturbance in the balance between dopaminergic and serotonergic neurotransmissions. In addition, emotion and learning associated phosphorylation of intracellular signaling is also disrupted in the prefrontal cortex, hippocampus and amygdala after withdrawal from repeated PCP treatment in mice2.
Target NMDA receptors
Last update: 02/01/2022
Phencyclidine hydrochloride (#P-125) is a highly pure, synthetic, and biologically active compound.
For research purposes only, not for human use
- Anti-NMDAR1 (GluN1) (extracellular) Antibody (#AGC-001)
- Anti-NMDAR2A (GluN2A) (extracellular) Antibody (#AGC-002)
- Anti-NMDAR2B (GluN2B) (extracellular) Antibody (#AGC-003)
- Anti-NMDAR2C (GRIN2C) (extracellular) Antibody (#AGC-018)
- Anti-NMDAR2D (GRIN2D) (extracellular) Antibody (#AGC-020)
- Anti-NMDAR3A (GRIN3A) (extracellular) Antibody (#AGC-030)
- (±)-CPP (#C-175)
- D-AP5 (#D-145)
- DL-AP5 (#D-140)
- Kynurenic acid (#K-110)
- ZD 9379 (#Z-120)
- Eliprodil (#E-155)
- NMDA Receptor Antagonist Explorer Kit (#EK-350)
- QNZ 46 (#Q-270)
Shipping and Ordering information