- Peptide (C)ENLGRRKSKAKENT, corresponding to amino acid residues 530- 543 of rat OCT1 (Accession Q63089). Intracellular, C-terminus.
- Western blot analysis of rat small intestine lysate (lanes 1 and 3) and rat H4-II-E-C3 hepatoma cell lysate (lanes 2 and 4):1-2. Anti-SLC22A1 Antibody (#ACT-011), (1:200).
3-4. Anti-SLC22A1 Antibody, preincubated with SLC22A1 Blocking Peptide (#BLP-CT011).
- Rulcova, A. et al. (2013) Pharmacol. Rep. 65, 1322.
- Lozano, E. et al. (2013) BioMed Res. Int. 2013, 1.
- Gorboulev, V. et al. (1997) DNA Cell Biol. 16, 871.
- Meyer-Wentrup, F. (1998) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 248, 673.
- Lautem, A. et al. (2013) Int. J. Oncol. 42, 1297.
- Koepsell, H. et al. (2007) Pharm. Res. 24, 1227.
- Martinez-Becerra, P. et al. (2012) Mol. Pharmacol. 9, 1693.
Organic cation transporters belong to the Solute carrier family 22 (SLC22) and the MATE family. The SLC22 family contains the three subtypes of passive diffusion organic cation transporters called OCT1 (SLC22A1), OCT2 (SLC22A2) and OCT3 (SLC22A3). OCT1 is responsible for the uptake of organic cationic compounds from blood to hepatocytes1.
Like most members of the SLC22 family, the organic cation and carnitine transporters have a predicted membrane topology that comprises 12 α-helical transmembrane domains (TMDs), an intracellular N-terminus, a large glycosylated extracellular loop, a large intracellular loop with phosphorylation sites and an intracellular C-terminus2.
In humans, OCT1 has a broad tissue distribution, although it is primarily expressed in hepatocytes3. In rat hepatocytes, OCT1 has been located at the sinusoidal membrane4. OCT1 is also expressed in cholangiocytes5. Human OCT1 is also expressed at the apical membrane of epithelial cells in the proximal and distal tubules of the nephron6.
A recent study demonstrated that primary liver cancer derived from epithelial cells, namely, hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), cholangiocarcinoma (CGC), and hepatoblastoma, shares a decreased expression of OCT1 as a common feature7. The reduction in the expression levels of this transporter has been associated with advanced tumor stages and poorer overall patient survival rates in HCC and CGC5.
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the rat Organic Cation Transporter 1. Anti-SLC22A1 Antibody (#ACT-011) can be used in western blot analysis. It has been designed to recognize OCT1 from rat and mouse samples. The antibody is not recommended for human samples.