- Peptide CHIRYMHLFSTIKYK, corresponding to amino acid residues 164-178 of rat CNTFRα (Accession Q08406). Extracellular.
- Western blot analysis of rat brain (lanes 1 and 4), rat cortex (lanes 2 and 5) and mouse brain (lanes 3 and 6) lysates:1-3. Anti-CNTFRα (extracellular) Antibody (#ACR-051), (1:200).
4-6. Anti-CNTFRα (extracellular) Antibody, preincubated with CNTFRα (extracellular) Blocking Peptide (#BLP-CR051).
- Expression of CNTF receptor α in rat hippocampusImmunohistochemical staining of rat hippocampal CA1 region using Anti-CNTFRα (extracellular) Antibody (#ACR-051), (1:400). A. CNTFRα staining (green) appears in astrocytes in the CA1 region (arrows). B. Nuclei staining using DAPI as the counterstain (green). C. Merged image of panels A and B.
- Cell surface detection of CNTF receptor α by indirect flow cytometry in live intact mouse BV-2 microglia cells:___ Cells.
___ Cells + goat-anti-rabbit-FITC.
___ Cells + Anti-CNTFRα (extracellular) Antibody (#ACR-051), (5μg) + goat-anti-rabbit-FITC.
- Mufson, E.J. et al. (1999) Prog. Neurobiol. 57, 451.
- Adler, R. et al. (1979) Science 204, 1434.
- Murphy, M. et al. (1997) Prog. Neurobiol. 52, 355.
- Henderson, J.T. et al. (1994) Mol. Brain Res. 22, 151.
- Stahl, N. et al. (1993) J. Biol. Chem. 268, 7628.
- Davis, S. et al. (1993) Science 259, 1736.
- Vergara, C. and Ramirez, B. (2004) Brain Res. Rev. 47, 161.
- Lelievre, E. et al. (2001) J. Biol. Chem. 276, 22476.
CNTF is a polypeptide trophic factor, member of the alpha-helical cytokine superfamily1. It was initially purified from the chick eye on the basis of its ability to promote survival of E8 chick ciliary ganglion neurons in culture2. CNTF is synthesized by glia both in the CNS and PNS3 and it has been demonstrated that CNTF is ubiquitously distributed in neurons and glia throughout the rodent brain4. CNTF effects are mediated by a tripartite receptor complex consisting of two signal-transducing subunits (leukemia inhibitory factor receptor, gp130) and a CNTF-specific ligand-binding-subunit (CNTFRα)5.
CNTFRα is anchored to the membrane by a glycosyl-phosphatidylinositol (GPI) linkage and lacks the intracellular signaling moiety. It can be cleaved from the GPI anchor to yield a soluble form of the receptor (sCNTFRα)6,7.
CNTF binds to CNTFRα, the latter associates with gp130 which recruits LIFR. This leads to the activation of a signaling cascade involving the JAK/STAT pathway7.
CNTFRα knockout mice die within 24 hours after birth as opposed to CNTF knock animals which are viable. This strongly suggest that CNTFRα has other ligands besides CNTF. Indeed, CLC/CLF complex (cardiotrophin like cytokine/cytokine-like factor-1) binds CNTFRα and activates a similar signaling pathway to that of CNTF8.
Species reactivity key:
Anti-CNTFRα (extracellular) Antibody (#ACR-051) is a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the rat protein. The antibody can be used in western blot, indirect flow cytometry and immunohistochemistry applications. The antibody recognizes an extracellular epitope and can potentially detect the receptor in living cells. It has been designed to recognize CNTF receptor α from human, mouse, and rat samples.