- Peptide (C)NGLKEEDKEPLIE, corresponding to amino acid residues 8-20 of human CLIC4 (Accession Q9Y696). Intracellular, N-terminus.
- Western blot analysis of human pancreatic carcinoma PANC-1 (lanes 1 and 4), mouse kidney (lanes 2 and 5) and rat kidney (lanes 3 and 6) lysates:1-3. Anti-CLIC4 Antibody (#ACL-024), (1:200).
4-6. Anti-CLIC4 Antibody, preincubated with CLIC4 Blocking Peptide (#BLP-CL024).
- Expression of CLIC4 in human pancreatic carcinoma PANC-1 cellsImmunocytochemical staining of fixed and permeabilized human pancreatic carcinoma PANC-1 cells. A. Cells were stained with Anti-CLIC4 Antibody (#ACL-024), (1:200), followed by goat anti-rabbit-AlexaFluor-594 secondary antibody (red). B. Cell nuclei were visualized using Hoechst 33342 (blue). C. Live image of the cells.
- Edwards, J.C. and Kahl, C.R. (2010) FEBS Lett. 584, 2102.
- Ashley, R.H. (2003) Mol. Membr. Biol. 20, 1.
- Cromer, B.A. et al. (2002) Eur. Biophys. J. 31, 356.
- Shukla, A. et al. (2009) Nat. Cell Biol. 11, 777.
- Suh, K.S. et al. (2007) J. Cell Sci. 120, 2631.
- Suh, K.S. et al. (2004) J. Biol. Chem. 279, 4632.
- Shukla, A. and Yuspa, S.H. (2010) Nucleus 1, 144.
Chloride intracellular channel (CLIC) is a family of proteins encoded by six different genes (CLIC1-6)1-3.
The localization of the various CLIC channels remains elusive and controversial since they can be either found in a soluble form in the cytoplasm or as integral membrane proteins (in intracellular compartments such as the nuclear membrane or the endoplasmic reticulum for example, or associated with the plasma membrane) via their single transmembrane domain1.
When membrane associated, CLIC channels indeed function as ion channels (enabling the passage of Cl- ions). Non-channel functions are also attributed to CLICs and include cell cycle regulation, cell differentiation, and apoptosis. These different roles depend on whether CLICs are membrane bound or cytosolic1. For instance, CLIC4 is involved in keratinocyte differentiation in a TGFb-dependent manner4,5, in such a way that TGFb stimulation induces the expression and nuclear localization of CLIC4 and its subsequent interaction with transcription factors4. CLIC4 is also required for growth arrest and apoptosis under stress6.
CLIC4 distribution is rather ubiquitous but shows higher expression level in the skin, kidney, brain and testes7.
Species reactivity key:
Anti-CLIC4 Antibody (#ACL-024) is a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the human protein. The antibody can be used in western blot and immunocytochemistry applications. It has been designed to recognize CLIC4 from mouse, rat, and human samples.
- Westrick, K.Y. et al. (2013) Am. J. Physiol. 304, F308.