- Peptide (C)GHRFPQGYHSDKR, corresponding to amino acid residues 328-340 of rat Connexin-40 (Accession P28234). Intracellular, C-terminus.
- Western blot analysis of rat (lanes 1 and 3) and mouse (lanes 2 and 4) heart lysates:1,2. Anti-Connexin-40 (GJA5) Antibody (#ACC-205), (1:200).
3,4. Anti-Connexin-40 (GJA5) Antibody, preincubated with Connexin-40/GJA5 Blocking Peptide (#BLP-CC205).
- Beyer, E.C. et al. 1993. Int. Rev. Cytol. 137C, 1.
- Evans, W.H. et al. 2002. Mol. Membr. Biol. 19, 121.
- Kelsell, D.P. et al. 2001. Trends Cell Biol. 11, 2.
- Bierhuizen, M.F. et al. 2000. Research 46, 511.
- Dupont, E. et al. 2001. J. Mol. Cell Cardiol. 33, 359.
- Miquerol, L. et al. 2003. Novartis Found Symp. 250, 80.
Connexins are transmembrane proteins, which oligomerize into hexameres adjusting in hemi-channels (connexons). The docking of connexons between two neighboring cells results in the formation of intercellular channels, which are permeable to ions and small molecules1. These channels, which are also known as gap junctions, are characterized by distinct electrophysiological properties. Various physiological and pathological conditions regulate the opening and closing of the channels2. Several genetic disorders have been identified in which specific connexin genes are mutated3.
Connexin 40 (Cx40) gene consists two exons, a small untranslated exon, exon 1, and an uninterrupted coding region located in an exon 24. In human and mouse species, Cx40 is expressed in various tissues and cells, such as choriocarcinoma cell lines, tonsil lymphocytes and cardiomyocytes5. The expression of the Cx40 gene in cardiomyocytes suggested that in the adult heart, Cx40 involved in the propagation of the electrical impulses from the atria to the ventricles. It was supported by the finding that Cx40 knockout mice developed cardiac conduction defects which matched the pattern of expression of the gene6.
Species reactivity key:
Anti-Connexin-40 (GJA5) Antibody (#ACC-205) is a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the rat protein. The antibody can be used in western blot analysis. It has been designed to recognize Cx40 from mouse, rat, and human samples.
- Anti-Connexin-26 (GJB2) Antibody (#ACC-212)
- Anti-Connexin-31 (GJB3) Antibody (#ACC-213)
- Anti-Connexin-32 Antibody (#ACC-211)
- Anti-Connexin-36 Antibody (#ACC-209)
- Anti-Connexin-36-ATTO Fluor-488 Antibody (#ACC-209-AG)
- Anti-Connexin-37 Antibody (#ACC-204)
- Anti-Connexin-43 Antibody (#ACC-201)
- Anti-Connexin-45 (GJC1) Antibody (#ACC-207)
- Guinea pig Anti-Connexin-43 Antibody (#ACC-201-GP (formerly AGP-141))