- Peptide (C)KHEKNSTEIQT(A)R, corresponding to amino acid residues 52-64 of rat VMAT2 (Accession Q01827). 1st luminal loop.
- Western blot analysis of rat brain (lanes 1 and 4), mouse brain (lanes 2 and 5) and rat brain stem (lanes 3 and 6) lysates:1-3. Anti-VMAT2 Antibody (#AMT-006), (1:400).
4-6. Anti-VMAT2 Antibody, preincubated with VMAT2 Blocking Peptide (#BLP-MT006).
- Expression of VMAT2 in rat substantia nigra dopaminergic neuronsImmunohistochemical staining of perfusion-fixed frozen rat brain sections using Anti-VMAT2 Antibody (#AMT-006), (1:1000). A. VMAT2 staining (red). B. Tyrosine hydroxylase staining (green), a marker of dopaminergic neurons. C. Merger of A and B demonstrates VMAT2 expression in several dopaminergic neurons (arrows). Cell nuclei were stained with DAPI (blue).
- Rat PC12 cells (Peixoto-Neves, D. et al. (2018) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 506, 709.).
Vesicular monoamine transporters (VMATs) are essential for proper monoaminergic neurotransmission, which requires the sequestration of the transmitter into synaptic vesicles by VMAT for subsequent Ca2+-stimulated exocytotic release. VMATs contain 12 transmembrane spanning domains, with cytosolic C- and N-terminals and large glycosylated intravesicular loops. In mammals, there are two VMAT isoforms: VMAT1 (SLC18A1) and VMAT2 (SLC18A2)1.
VMATs primarily transport monoamines (dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine and histamine), but also sequester toxicants into vesicles, shunting them away from cytosolic sites of action. In the central nervous system, VMAT2 is the only transporter that moves cytoplasmic dopamine (DA) into synaptic vesicles for storage and subsequent exocytotic release2.
VMAT2 is expressed in monoaminergic neurons of the central nervous system (CNS) and sympathetic postganglionic neurons. VMAT2 is widely expressed during embryonic development3.
Homozygous knock-out of VMAT2 in mice is lethal and heterozygous knock-out of VMAT2 in mice shows a clear gene dosage effect, with half the amount of dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin content in brain4. In addition VMAT2 plays a role in neuroprotection and molecules that interact with VMAT2 may have value as treatments for diseases such as Parkinson’s disease5.
Species reactivity key:
Anti-VMAT2 Antibody (#AMT-006) is a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the rat vesicular monoamine transporter 2. The antibody can be used in western blot, immunocytochemistry, and immunohistochemistry applications. It has been designed to recognize VMAT2 from human, rat and mouse samples.
- Anti-VMAT2-ATTO Fluor-488 Antibody (#AMT-006-AG). A fluorescent labeled primary antibody. It can be used in multiplex staining studies in conjunction with any of our antibodies raised in rabbit.
- Anti-VMAT1 Antibody (#AMT-007)
- Anti-Noradrenaline Transporter (NET) (extracellular) Antibody (#AMT-002)
- Anti-Dopamine Transporter (DAT) (extracellular) Antibody (#AMT-003)
- Anti-Serotonin Transporter (SERT) (extracellular) Antibody (#AMT-004)
- Anti-Vesicular Acetylcholine Transporter (VAChT) Antibody (#ACT-003)