- Peptide (C)RGAEYAPLEEGHGH, corresponding to amino acid residues 210-223 of rat ZnT3 (Accession Q6QIX3). 2nd intracellular loop.
- Western blot analysis of rat (lanes 1 and 3) and mouse (lanes 2 and 4) brain lysates:1,2. Anti-ZnT3 (SLC30A3) Antibody (#AZT-013), (1:500).
3,4. Anti-ZnT3 (SLC30A3) Antibody, preincubated with ZnT3/SLC30A3 Blocking Peptide (#BLP-ZT013).
- Western blot analysis of human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cell lysate:1. Anti-ZnT3 (SLC30A3) Antibody (#AZT-013), (1:200).
2. Anti-ZnT3 (SLC30A3) Antibody, preincubated with ZnT3/SLC30A3 Blocking Peptide (#BLP-ZT013).
- Expression of Zinc transporter 3 in rat hippocampusImmunohistochemical staining of immersion-fixed, free floating rat brain frozen sections using Anti-ZnT3 (SLC30A3) Antibody (#AZT-013), (1:600). A. ZnT3 (green) is expressed in the mossy fiber (MF) terminal field of the CA3 region rat hippocampal region. B. Synaptophysin staining (red) is detected in both the MF terminal field and the CA3 region. C. Merge of the two images reveals extensive co-localization (arrows) in the MF region. Cell nuclei are stained with DAPI (blue).
ZnT3 is a member of the SLC30 family of zinc transporters which promotes the influx of zinc ions into synaptic vesicles of glutamatergic neurons from the cytoplasm, intracellular organelles, or to the outside of the cell. It is responsible for maintaining high intravesicular zinc content.
ZnT3 is encoded by the Slc30a3 gene and is selectively located on the vesicles of zinc-secreting neurons. ZnT3 is also present in regions of the brain such as the hippocampus and neocortex1. Ionic zinc is found ubiquitously throughout synapses of the mammalian central nervous system, where it plays fundamental roles in synaptic function and plasticity2.
ZnT3 structure is predicted to contain six transmembrane spanning domains that form a pore lined with a histidine-rich loop3.
Knockout of ZnT3 leads to the absence of histochemically reactive zinc in the terminals of zincergic neurons. A loss of ZnT3 might lead to disturbances in brain functions such as memory function, emotions, behavior, motivation, and in the processing of sensory information3,4. Studies have shown that genetic absence of ZnT3 may be involved in the synaptic and memory deficits of Alzheimer's disease1. Another study showed that a knockout mouse has a tendency for seizure5.
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the rat zinc transporter 3. Anti-ZnT3 (SLC30A3) Antibody (#AZT-013) can be used in western blot and immunohistochemistry applications. It has been designed to recognize ZnT3 from mouse, rat and human samples.