Cat #: C-850
Alternative Name Actidione, Naramycin A
Lyophilized Powder yes
Every lot is tried & tested in a relevant biological assay.
Origin Streptomyces griseus.
Effective concentration 10-100 µM.
Chemical name 4-[2-(3,5-Dimethyl-2-oxo-cyclohexyl)-2-hydroxyethyl]-2,6-piperidinedione.
Molecular formula C15H23NO4.
CAS No.: 66-81-9.
Activity Cycloheximide is an antibiotic which inhibits protein synthesis in eukaryotes, but not in prokaryotes, by blocking translation elongation1,2.
Shipping and storage Shipped at room temperature. Product as supplied can be stored intact at room temperature for several weeks. For longer periods, it should be stored at -20°C.
Solubility Water, DMSO, ethanol, methanol, acetone. Centrifuge all product preparations before use (10000 x g 5 min).
Storage of solutions Up to four weeks at 4°C or three months at -20°C.
- Alomone Labs Cycloheximide inhibits green fluorescent protein (GFP) synthesis in HEK 293 cells.Cells were transiently transfected with GFP for 18 h, followed by treatment with (A) or without (B) 100 µM Cycloheximide (#C-850). Cells were visualized under fluorescent microscopy 24 h later.
References - Scientific background
- Dewitte-Orr, S.J. et al. (2005) Fish Shellfish Immunol. 18, 279.
- Wool, I.G. and Cavicchi, P. (1966) Proc. Natl. Acad. U.S.A. 56, 991.
- Lin, W.W. and Hsu, Y.W. (2000) Cell Signal. 12, 457.
- Marcus, P.I. and Salb, J.M. (1966) Cold Spring Harb. Symp. Quant. Biol. 31, 335.
- Georg, L.K. (1953) AMA Arch. Derm. Syphilol. 67, 355.
- Kaufer N.F. et al. (1983) Nucleic Acids Res. 11, 3123.
Scientific background Cycloheximide is an antibiotic which is primarily used for the isolation of dermatophytes from clinical materials.1,2 It induces death of eukaryotic cells in an apoptosis-independent pathway. Cycloheximide acts as an elongation inhibitor during protein synthesis in eukaryotes, but not prokaryotes, by competing with the binding of ATP to the 60S ribosomal subunit. Mutations in the yeast gene CYH2 that encodes L29, a component of the 60S ribosomal subunit, can lead to cycloheximide resistance.3-6
Last update: 16/08/2020
Cycloheximide (#C-850) is a highly pure, natural, and biologically active compound.
For research purposes only, not for human use
Shipping and Ordering information