- Peptide (C)KLEPTSYRRRHPE, corresponding to amino acid residues 11-23 of rat NBCe2 (Accession Q6RI88). Intracellular, N-terminal.
- Western blot analysis of rat brain (lanes 1 and 3) and testis (lanes 2 and 4) membranes:1,2. Anti-Rat SLC4A5 (NBC4) Antibody (#ANT-076), (1:400).
3,4. Anti-Rat SLC4A5 (NBC4) Antibody, preincubated with Rat SLC4A5/NBC4 Blocking Peptide (#BLP-NT076).
- Romero, M.F. et al. (2013) Mol. Aspects Med. 34, 159.
- Pushkin A. et al. (2000) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1493, 215.
- Virkki, L.V. et al. (2002) Am. J. Physiol. 282, C1278.
- Barkley, R.A. et al. (2004) Hypertension 43, 477.
- Taylor, J.Y. et al. (2009) Biol. Res. Nurs. 11, 53.
- Kao, L. et al. (2011) J. Biol. Chem. 286, 32563.
The SLC4 transporter family, also known as the bicarbonate (HCO3-)-transporter family, includes the products of ten human genes (SLC4A1-5; A7-11). In mammals, the SLC4 membrane proteins are critical for several physiological processes, including the carriage of carbon dioxide (CO2) from the systemic capillaries to the pulmonary capillaries, the regulation of cell volume in multiple cell types, and the regulation of intracellular pH in nearly every cell of the body1.
NBCe2 (NBC4) is an electrogenic sodium bicarbonate co-transporter encoded by SLC4A5. There are six NBCe2 isoform (SLC4A5A-F) reported2. NBCe2 is an integral membrane protein consisting of 14 transmembrane domains. NBCe2 has a long N-terminal hydrophilic domain and a much shorter C-terminal hydrophilic domain, both of which are intracellular3.
NBCe2 is predominantly detected in the brain (highest in prefrontal cortex), epididymis, cardiac muscle, smooth muscle, kidney, and choroid plexus/apical1.
Several studies identified SLC4A5 as a positional candidate for hypertension4,5. In mice, disruption of slc4a5 causes both arterial hypertension as well as metabolic acidosis (distal renal tubular acidosis)6. In addition, mice lacking NBCe2 have reduced choroid plexus secretion and reduced ventricle size. These combined issues change intracranial pressure, CSF electrolytes, and cause severe eye pathologies such as photoreceptor loss, ganglion cell loss, and retinal detachment7.
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of rat NBCe2. Anti-Rat SLC4A5 (NBC4) Antibody (#ANT-076) can be used in western blot analysis. It has been designed to recognize NBCe2 from rat samples. The antibody is not recommended for mouse and human samples.