This product is freeze dried. All water molecules have been removed.
Every lot is tried & tested in a relevant biological assay.
- Alomone Labs FK-506 inhibits the anti-adipogenic effect of calcineurin in 3T3-L1 cells.Cells were induce to undergo differentiation with 1 µg/ml insulin for 4 days (A, B and C). The cells were treated for the first 4 days of differentiation with 1 µM Ionomycin (#I-700), (B and C) in the presence of 5 ng/ml (C) or absence (A and B) of FK-506 (#F-900). After 10 days, the cells were stained with Oil red O and visualized with light microscopy.
- 1. Kino, T. et al. (1987) J Antibiot. 40, 1249.
- 2. Kino, T. et al. (1987) J Antibiot. 40, 1256.
- 3. Goto, T. et al. (1991) Transplant Proc. 23, 2713.
- 4. Rosen, M.K. and Schreiber, S.L. (1992) Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 31, 384.
- 5. Schreiber, S.L. et al. (1992) Immunol Today. 13, 136.
- 6. Harding, M.W. et al. (1989) Nature. 341, 758.
- 7. Bierer, B. et al. (1990) Science. 250, 556.
- 8. Jin, Y. et al. (1991) PNAS 88, 6677.
- 9. Schreiber, S.L. et al. (1992) Immunol Today. 13, 136.
- 10. Liu, J. et al. (1991) Cell 66, 807.
- 11. O'Keefe, S.J. et al. (1992) Nature (London) 357, 692.
- 12. Dumont, F.J. et al. (1992) Journal of Experimental Medicine 176, 751.
- 13. McCall, E. et al. (1996) Circ. Res. 79, 1110.
FK 506 (Tacrolimus), a macrolide compound isolated from Streptomyces tsukubaensis, is a potent immunosuppressive compound that inhibits T-cell activation and is an inhibitor of fungal growth (10 to 100 times more potent than Cyclosporin A).1-3 FK-506 binds and inhibits, in vitro, the activity of immunophilin proteins known as FK 506-binding protein (FKBP), in a variety of organisms, ranging from yeast to humans.4-8
Immunosuppression activity of FK-506 seems to be due to FK-506/FKBP complex that inhibits the heterodimeric Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent phosphatase Calcineurin. This, in turn, prevents the Calcineurin-dependent activation of interleukin-2 transcription and T-cell proliferation.9-12 FK-506 inhibits FKBP activities, increases sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ release and decreases the ability of Na+/Ca2+ exchange to extrude Ca2+ from the cell.13
FK-506 (#F-900) is a highly pure, natural, and biologically active compound.