This product is freeze dried. All water molecules have been removed.
Every lot is tried & tested in a relevant biological assay.
0.1 EU per 1 µg of the protein by the LAL method & lyophilized from a 0.2 µm filtered solution.
- Alomone Labs Recombinant human EGF protein promotes the phosphorylation of ERK1/2 in preadipocyte 3T3-L1 cells.Cells were stimulated with increasing concentrations of Recombinant human EGF protein (#E-100) for 6 min. The cells were subjected to western blot analysis and the activation of ERK1/2 was determined using anti-phospho-ERK1/2 antibody.
- 1. Bell, G.I. et al. (1986) Nucleic. Acids. Res. 14, 8427.
- 2. Carpenter, G. et al. (1986) Exp. Cell Res. 164, 1.
- 3. Herbst, R.S. (2004) Int J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 59, S21.
- 4. Higashiyama, S. et al. (2008) Cancer Sci. 99, 214.
- 5. Carpenter, G. et al. (1985) J. Anal Biochem. 153, 279.
- 6. Waterfield, M.D. et al. (1989) Lancet 1, 1243.
- 7. Mendelsohn, J. et al. (2001) Endocr. Relat. Cancer 8, 3.
- 8. Groenestege, W.M. et al. (2007) J. Clin. Invest. 117, 2260.
The epidermal growth factor (EGF) family is important in regulating growth, maturation, function, and maintenance in epithelial tissues (particularly the mammary glands and gastrointestinal tract) and the nerve system. EGF stimulates the growth of various epidermal and epithelial tissues in vivo and in vitro1 and of some fibroblasts in cell culture2-3.
The EGF family is comprised of 13 members, which are all membrane-anchored proteins, in addition to their properties as ligands that activate epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), bearing tyrosine kinase activity4.
The EC50 of EGF is 0.05-5.0 ng/ml using Balb/MK cells5, and its importance as a potential therapeutic agent has been extended by the realization that EGF-like activities may be involved in wound healing and could alter cell growth in cancer3,6. The risk of cancer is increased by EGF and therefore, inhibiting it decreases cancer risk. There are two classes of inhibitors: the small-molecule EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors (SMTKIs) and monoclonal antibodies to the receptors7.
EGF is also a magnesiotropic hormone that stimulates magnesium reabsorption in the renal distal convoluted tubule via engagement of EGFR and activation of the magnesium channel TRPM6. Defects in EGF are the cause of hypomagnesemia type 4 (HOMG4), also known as renal hypomagnesemia normocalciuric. HOMG4 is a disorder characterized by massive renal hypomagnesemia and normal levels of serum calcium and calcium excretion. Clinical features include seizures, mild-to moderate psychomotor retardation, and brisk tendon reflexes8.
Recombinant human EGF protein (#E-100) is a highly pure, recombinant, and biologically active protein.