- Peptide (C)EASNRSLNATGAWD, corresponding to amino acid residues 14-27 of rat 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 1D (Accession P28565). Extracellular, N-terminus.
- Western blot analysis of rat prostate (lanes 1 and 3) and human PC-3 prostate carcinoma cell (lanes 2 and 4) lysates:1,2. Anti-5HT1D Receptor (HTR1D) (extracellular) Antibody (#ASR-023), (1:200).
3,4. Anti-5HT1D Receptor (HTR1D) (extracellular) Antibody, preincubated with 5HT1D Receptor/HTR1D (extracellular) Blocking Peptide (#BLP-SR023).
- Sari, Y. (2004) Neurosi. Biobehav. Rev. 28, 565.
- Berger, M. et al. (2009) Annu. Rev. Med. 60, 355.
- Filip, M. and Bader, M. (2009) Pharmacol. Rep. 61, 761.
- Fink, K.B. and Göthert, M. (2007) Pharmacol. Rev. 59, 360.
Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, 5-HT) plays unequivocally a most important role in the normal physiology amongst higher eukaryotes, as do most neurotransmitters. The physiological roles of serotonin and its receptors range from appetite, regulation of the circadian rhythm, sexual behavior, memory and nociception. Serotonin is also involved in migraine and some psychiatric diseases such as depression anxiety and aggression1. Serotonin and its receptors also have an influence on the cardiovascular, pulmonary, gastrointestinal (GI) and genitourinary systems2.
To date, some fifteen serotonin receptors have been cloned and grouped into seven families (5-HT1-5-HT7) based on their signaling mechanisms. The 5-HT1 receptor class comprises 5 different receptors with ranging homology. Apart from 5-HT3, all serotonin receptors belong to the G-protein coupled receptor superfamily and therefore span the membrane seven times3.
Members of the 5-HT1 receptor class all couple Gi/0 thereby inhibiting adenylate cyclase.
In the central nervous system, 5-HT1D is expressed in the basal ganglia, hippocampus and cortex in the rat and in the basal ganglia, midbrain and spinal cord in the human. In serotonin neurons, 5-HT1D receptors are autoreceptors thereby inhibiting the release of 5-HT. In GABA, ACh, and glutamate neurons they are heteroreceptors where they control the release of these neurotransmitters4,5.
The serotonin system plays an undeniable role in the perception and processing of pain. Indeed, many migraine sufferers are prescribed triptan-based drugs which activate 5-HT1B and 5-HT1D receptors2.
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an extracellular epitope of the rat 5-Hydroxytryptamine receptor 1D. Anti-5HT1D Receptor (HTR1D) (extracellular) Antibody (#ASR-023) can be used in western blot analysis. It has been designed to recognize 5HT1D receptor from human, rat and mouse samples.