- Peptide (C)DKKDDKSSPKKSK, corresponding to amino acid residues 3-15 of rat ATP1A3 (Accession P06687). Intracellular, N-terminus.
- Western blot analysis of mouse (lanes 1 and 3) and rat (lanes 2 and 4) brain membranes:1,2. Anti-Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Antibody (#ANP-003), (1:200).
3,4. Anti-Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Antibody, preincubated with Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Blocking Peptide (#BLP-NP003).
- Western blot analysis of human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cell line lysate:1. Anti-Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Antibody (#ANP-003), (1:200).
2. Anti-Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Antibody, preincubated with Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Blocking Peptide (#BLP-NP003).
- Expression of Na+/K+ ATPase α3 (ATP1A3) in rat hippocampusImmunohistochemical staining of perfusion-fixed frozen rat brain sections with Anti-Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Antibody (#ANP-003), (1:200), followed by goat-anti-rabbit-AlexaFluor-488. ATP1A3 staining (green) in the hippocampal dentate gyrus is detected in the granule layer (G), (vertical arrows) and in hilar interneurons (horizontal arrows). Cell nuclei are stained with DAPI (blue).
Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase (ATP1A3) subunit is responsible for maintaining the electrochemical gradients of Na+ and K+ across the plasma membrane. A low intracellular Na+ concentration in eukaryotic cells is maintained by the Na+/K+ ATPase protein. Na+/K+ ATPase exports three sodium ions for every two potassium ions imported1-3.
In most cells, Na+/K+ ATPase is distributed along the plasma membrane, whereas in epithelia the distribution is polarized in patterns specific to the type of epithelium. In the central nervous system (CNS), the α3 Na+/K+ ATPase isoform is expressed in neurons1,3.
The establishment of an electrochemical gradient for Na+ and K+ across the plasma membrane is vital for cell function, it determines cell resting membrane potentials and supports the electrical activity of excitable cells.
Autosomal dominant mutations of the human gene are related to a wide spectrum of clinical conditions, including several defined syndromes such as rapid-onset dystonia-parkinsonism, hyperactivity, epileptic seizures, optic atrophy, and sensorineural hearing loss2,3.
Species reactivity key:
Anti-Alpha 3 Na+/K+ ATPase Antibody (#ANP-003) is a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the rat ATP1A3. The antibody can be used in western blot and immunohistochemistry applications. It has been designed to recognize ATP1A3 from rat, mouse, and human samples.