This product is freeze dried. All water molecules have been removed.
This antibody is shipped with its antigen FREE of charge!
- Peptide (C)EYVKRKQRYEVDFNLE, corresponding to amino acid residues 679-694 of mouse Anoctamin-1 (Accession Q8BHY3). 3rd extracellular loop.
- Western blot analysis of rat dorsal root ganglion (DRG) lysate:1. Anti-TMEM16A (ANO1) (extracellular) Antibody (#ACL-011), (1:200).
2. Anti-TMEM16A (ANO1) (extracellular) Antibody, preincubated with the control peptide antigen.Western blot analysis of rat small intestine lysate:1. Anti-TMEM16A (ANO1) (extracellular) Antibody (#ACL-011), (1:200).
2. Anti-TMEM16A (ANO1) (extracellular) Antibody, preincubated with the control peptide antigen.
- 1. Hartzell, H.C. et al. (2009) J. Physiol. 587, 2127.
- 2. Sheridan, J.T. et al. (2011) J. Biol. Chem. 286, 1381.
- 3. Caputo, A. et al. (2008) Science 322, 590.
- 4. Yang, Y.D. et al. (2008) Nature 455, 1210.
- 5. Schroeder. B.C. et al. (2008) Cell 134, 1019.
- 6. Rock, J.R. et al. (2009) J. Biol. Chem. 284, 14875.
- 7. Rock, J.R. et al. (2008) Dev. Biol. 321, 141.
- 8. Stephan, A.B. et al. (2009) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 106, 11776.
- 9. Hengl, T. et al. (2010) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 107, 6052.
- 10. West, R.B. et al. (2004) Am. J. Pathol. 165, 107.
- 11. Espinosa, I. et al. (2008) Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 32, 210.
- 12. Huang, X. et al. (2006) Genes Chromosomes Cancer 45, 1058.
- 13. Carles, A. et al. (2006) Oncogene 25, 1821.
Anoctamin (ANO or TMEM16) is a family of 10 membrane proteins. This family is named so because these channels are selective to ANions and have eight (OCT) transmembrane domains. Also, these channels are subject to glycosylation in their extracellular loops and have both intracellular N- and C-termini1. Members of this family are expressed in a broad range of different organisms ranging from mammals, flies, worms, plants and yeast1. Alternative splicing is known to affect these channels and regarding their oligomerization state, homedimerization has been observed although when heterologously expressed, these channels may hetero oligomerize2.
Ano1 (or TMEM16A, DOG1 and others) the first member to be identified was found to be a Ca2+-activated Cl- channel3-5 therefore other members are likely to also be Cl- channels. These channels are expressed in many different tissues: bronchiolar epithelial cells, pancreatic acinar cells, proximal kidney tubule epithelium, retina, dorsal root ganglia and submandibular gland1. In fact, Ano1 gained a lot of attention as its activation may serve as a therapeutic treatment for cystic fibrosis since it is also expressed in the airways6. These Ca2+-activated Cl- channels are believed to play a role in development as knockout of Ano1 in mice causes abnormal development of the trachea7. Ano2 (TMEM16B) has been shown to mediate Ca2+-activated Cl- current in olfactory epithelium and photoreceptor synapses2,8,9.
Although relatively newly discovered channels, they are being discovered in many medical indications. Ano1 has become a marker in gastrointestinal tumors as its expression is significantly upregulated10,11. Similarly, Ano1 is also highly expressed in other carcinomas12,13.
Species reactivity key:
Expression of Anoctamin 1 in mouse cerebral cortex.Immunohistochemical staining of mouse brain sections using Anti-TMEM16A (ANO1) (extracellular) Antibody (#ACL-011). ANO1 staining (green) in cerebral cortex is detected in Purkinje cells. Neuro Trace is used to label Purkinje cells.Adapted from Zhang, W. et al. (2015) PLoS ONE 10, e0142160. with permission of PLoS.
Anti-TMEM16A (ANO1) (extracellular) Antibody (#ACL-011) is a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of mouse Anoctamin-1. The antibody can be used in western blot and immunohistochemistry applications. The antibody recognizes an extracellular epitope and could potentially detect the protein in living cells. It has been designed to recognize Anoctamin-1 from mouse, rat, and human samples.