- Peptide CSQWPPSDSAFE, corresponding to amino acid residues 277-288 of rat NaV1.3 (Accession P08104). 3rd extracellular loop, domain I.
- Western blot analysis of rat newborn brain lysates (lanes 1 and 3), rat adult brain membranes (lane 2):1,2. Anti-SCN3A (NaV1.3) (extracellular) Antibody (#ASC-023), (1:200).
3. Anti-SCN3A (NaV1.3) (extracellular) Antibody, preincubated with SCN3A/Nav1.3 (extracellular) Blocking Peptide (#BLP-SC023).
- Expression of NaV1.3 in HEK-293 transfected cellsCell surface detection of NaV1.3 in intact living HEK-293 cells expressing rat NaV1.3. A. Extracellular staining of cells using Anti-SCN3A (NaV1.3) (extracellular) Antibody (#ASC-023), (red). B. Cells transfected with the empty vector show no NaV1.3 staining. Nuclear staining using DAPI as the counterstain (blue).
- Wu, L. et al. (2002) NeuroReport 13, 2547.
- Fang, X. et al. (2002) J. Neurosci. 22, 7425.
- Fjell, J. et al. (2000) NeuroReport 11, 199.
- Baker, M.D. et al. (2001) Trends. Pharmacol. Sci. 22, 27.
- Lai, J. et al. (2003) Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 13, 291.
- Isom, L.L. (2001) Neuroscientist 7, 42.
- Catterall, W.A. et al. (2003) Pharmacol. Rev. 55, 575.
- Lai, J. et al. (2004) Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 44, 371.
- Hains, B.C. et al. (2003) J. Neurosci. 23, 8881.
- Cummins, T.R. et al. (2001) J. Neurosci. 21, 5952.
- Shah, B.S. et al. (2001) J. Physiol. 534, 763.
Voltage-gated sodium channels (NaV) are essential for the generation of action potentials and for cell excitability.1 NaV channels are activated in response to depolarization and selectively allow flow of Na+ ions. To date, nine NaV α subunits have been cloned and named NaV1.1-NaV1.9.4-5 The NaV channels are classified into two groups according to their sensitivity to Tetrodotoxin (TTX): TTX-sensitive (NaV1.1, NaV1.2, NaV1.3, NaV1.4, NaV1.6 and NaV1.7) and TTX-resistant (NaV1.5, NaV1.8 and NaV1.9).2-3
Mammalian sodium channels are heterotrimers, composed of a central, pore-forming α subunit and two auxiliary β subunits. The expression of the α subunit isoform is developmentally regulated and tissue specific. Sodium channels in the adult central nervous system and heart contain β1 through β4 subunits, whereas sodium channels in adult skeletal muscle have only the β1 subunit.6,7
NaV1.3, also known as SCN3A, is highly expressed in embryonic sensory neurons and CNS, but its level dramatically decreases in adult rodents.8 Up-regulation of NaV1.3 channel expression was described in injured neurons and injured spinal cord.9-11
Species reactivity key:
Alomone Labs is pleased to offer a highly specific antibody directed against an epitope of the rat NaV1.3 channel. Anti-SCN3A (NaV1.3) (extracellular) Antibody (#ASC-023) can be used in western blot, and live cell imaging applications. It has been designed to recognize NaV1.3 from rat, human and mouse samples. The antibody may recognize NaV1.1 and NaV1.2 due to a moderate homology between the chosen sequence and the sequences of NaV1.1 and NaV1.2 (although there are no five amino acids identical in a row as considered to be the minimum needed for antibody/antigen recognition).
- Anti-SCN3A (NaV1.3) Antibody (#ASC-004). This antibody recognizes a different epitope and thus can also be used as a control for detecting NaV1.3.