This product is freeze dried. All water molecules have been removed.
This antibody is shipped with its antigen FREE of charge!
- Peptide (C)EVKELAPHPSGLR, corresponding to amino acid residues 170-182 of rat Connexin-36 (Accession O70610). Intracellular loop.
- Western blot analysis of mouse (lanes 1 and 3) and rat (lanes 2 and 4) brain membranes:1,2. Anti-Connexin-36 Antibody (#ACC-209), (1:200).
3,4. Anti-Connexin-36 Antibody, preincubated with the negative control antigen.
- Expression of Connexin-36 in rat spinal cordImmunohistochemical staining of perfusion-fixed frozen rat spinal cord sections using Anti-Connexin-36 Antibody (#ACC-209), (1:300). Cx36 staining (in red) appears in processes (arrows) along the first layer of the dorsal horn of the rat spinal cord. Cell nuclei are stained with DAPI (blue).
- 1. Peng, Y.F. et al. (2012) Chin. Med. J. 125, 2365.
- 2. Condorelli, D.F. et al. (2000) Brain Res. Brain. Res. Rev. 32, 72.
- 3. Condorelli, D.F. et al. (2003) Eur. J. Neurosci. 18, 1807.
- 4. Marina, N. et al. (2008) Auton. Neurosci. 139, 15.
- 5. Hartfield, E.M. et al. (2011) PLoS ONE 6, e14746.
- 6. Wang, Y. et al. (2012) J. Neurosci. 32, 713.
The structural unit of the gap junctions is the connexon. Connexons are hexameric structures, formed by transcellular channels composed of connexins. Connexins (Cx) share a common structural basis, which is a four-transmembrane spanning protein, a cytoplasmic loop, two extracellular loops (E1–E2), one intracellular amino-(NT domain) and a carboxy-terminal (CT domain) region1.
Connexin 36 (Cx36) is predominantly expressed in mammalian neuronal cells2. Cx36 is expressed in a variety of mammalian brain regions, but expression is particularly notable in the inferior olive, cerebellar cortex, olfactory bulbs, several brainstem nuclei, the CA3 subregion of the hippocampus and reticular thalamic nuclei3. Outside of the central nervous system, Cx36 also appears in motoneurons of adult rat spinal cord 4.
Studies have shown that Cx36 is involved in some neural functions, including neuronal neurogenesis, neural fertility control and regulation of waking and sleep states, and also Cx36 plays an important role in N-methyl-D-aspartate-mediated neuronal death following neuronal injury5. A number of studies performed in humans and animals have confirmed the role of Cx36 in the generation and maintenance of seizure activity6.
Species reactivity key:
Expression of Cx36 in rat brainstem.Immunohistochemical staining of rat brainstem sections using Anti-Connexin-36 Antibody (#ACC-209). Cx36 staining (red) is localized to hypoglossal motoneurons, as is SMI 32, a motoneuron marker (green). DAPI is used to stain nuclei.Adapted from Corsini, S. et al. (2017) Cell Death Dis. 8, e2881. with permission of Nature Publishing Group.
Anti-Connexin-36 Antibody (#ACC-209) is a highly specific antibody targeted against an epiotpe of the rat protein. The antibody can be used in western blot and immunohistochemistry applications. It has been designed to recognize Cx36 from human, rat, and mouse samples.
- Anti-Connexin-26 (GJB2) Antibody (#ACC-212)
- Anti-Connexin-31 (GJB3) Antibody (#ACC-213)
- Anti-Connexin-32 Antibody (#ACC-211)
- Anti-Connexin-37 Antibody (#ACC-204)
- Anti-Connexin-40 (GJA5) Antibody (#ACC-205)
- Anti-Connexin-43 Antibody (#ACC-201)
- Anti-Connexin-45 (GJC1) Antibody (#ACC-207)
- Anti-Connexin-29 (extracellular) Antibody (#ACC-223)
- Guinea pig Anti-Connexin-43 Antibody (#AGP-141)